Thursday, August 6

Desert Dust Storm

Just got home from tending Hailey. Brian got off work early.
It was a little unnerving coming home. As I got in my car, I
could barely see down the street as the wind was whipping
up quite a formidable dust/dirt storm. It was rather dark
leaving one with an eery feeling. Looking up into the sky,
however, was amazing. The sun was a huge ball of orange,
the likes of which I have never seen. Nor have I ever been
able to look somewhat directly at the sun. But the air was
so thick with dust that it really blocked the sun. Where is my
camera when I need it.

As I headed down the street out and out his subdivision
onto Flint Street, I felt like I was entering a fog area.
Couldn't see more than about an 1/8 of a mile or so and
had to turn on the car lights. Glad I don't live in the
desert :) with their sand storms. I'm sure the empty
plowed fields really contributed to the density of the
air.

It wasn't until I was coming up 200 North by the
Chevron Station that I started to notice a little more
light. By the time I reached the light on Main Street
I was able to turn off my lights. The air quality
was poor, but much improved.

Talked to my sister and she said she'd heard the
freeway had been closed out here for a time due to
poor conditions. I can believe it!

Wanted to try and get a picture of the sun when I
got home, but it just wasn't the same and not
nearly as impressive as at Brian's.

Anyway, glad to be home and safe inside my house!

No comments: