Monday, May 25

MEMORIAL DAY

Sunday started out cloudy, cold and rainy and I wasn't sure we
would be able to visit the Salt Lake Cemetery to place flowers
on the graves of loved ones.  Brian and Hailey were going to
go with me if the rain stopped long enough.

I had purchased some colorful mum's at work that we would
set at the top of the headstones for Mom, her brother and parents
plus Grandma Gutke.  Plans also included flowers for our
Whittaker grandparents, Davis great grandparents all located in
different spots--if I could remember!

Coming out of Sacrament meeting about 2:15 p.m., I was delighted 
to see the rain had let up and it was actually clearing a little.  So
called Brian and we decided to head on in while the weather was
good.  It actually turned out to be a lovely afternoon with the sun
shining, clouds dissipating and temperatures warming up.

I had brought clippers and a broom so we could clean off the
graves before placing the flowers on them.  There is always such
a tender and sweet feeling come over me as I kneel to clean the
graves.  Memories come flooding back and I am able to share
with Hailey who these people are that we are honoring.  It does
make me a little sad that she doesn't really remember Mother
much anymore even though we try to talk about her and keep
pictures of family around.  But, I hope that as we visit the
graves, she will come to know that we have loved ones waiting
on the other side for us and that they are very much aware of
us and what we are doing.  Also, that she has a noble heritage.

We left the car parked by Mom's gravesite and walked across
the lawn to honor Our Whittaker ancestors.  What will I ever
do if the huge pine trees die?  They are my marker!  We took
time once again to talk to Hailey about them--at least as
long as her attention span would hold.  I'm so glad we take
flowers for them as I don't think anyone else remembers them.

It's nice to spend a little time and walk around and just enjoy
the peace that is felt in that sacred setting.  It is so beautiful
to see all the flowers decorating the graves and across the
way, flags honoring those who gave their lives for our country.
I love observing families taking time to clean around the
headstones and visiting.  I know those on the other side are
grateful for our acknowledgement of their lives.

Now to find Albert Wesley and Melissa Jane Davis--my
great grandparents.  They are just off Center street and about
250 North.  (I wrote it down for next year)  It is helpful
in finding them to remember that a through street by their
graves has now been filled in with gravesites.  I can always
find it by the sandstone headstone of Nathan Davis.  Here
again I was grateful we brought flowers for them as there
was none for anyone there.

After placing the flowers we walked around a little looking
at some of the unique headstones.  I sat down for a few
minutes to look around while Brian checked out some
headstones that were for people from Scotland and Hailey
walked around a brick wall.  For just a brief moment
or two I was by myself and could just think quietly about
my loved ones.  It was then I felt the presence of loved
ones.  Who, I don't know for sure.  But, I do know they
were there and grateful for our remembrance.  I always get
this warm fuzzy feeling as if being embraced and tears that
come so easily.  

How grateful I am to have had Brian and Hailey come
with me.  It's always a blessing to have them share in these
special times.  How grateful I am to know that I am loved
and watched over by those on the other side.  What a blessing
it is to honor them in this small way for the examples they
were and are and for the lives they lived.

Thanks to Carol and Sig for honoring Dad and our Kohler
grandparents and great grandparents in Midway Monday.


No comments: