Tuesday, May 12

Lessons from Mother Robin

About a week ago I was so excited to look out my bedroom window 
and observe a robin building a nest in the Silver Leaf Maple tree.  (I
think she may have been at it for a day or two)  It was amazing to 
periodically peer out the window and watch her as she carefully 
shaped and formed her nest.  She steadily worked throughout the 
day hardly taking a break.  Finally it seemed to be completed.  (I
was exhausted for her!)
Being so excited I googled information about robins and
their nest building, etc. and wished that somehow I could set up
a camera as someone else had done on the web.  But, she is too
high up so I'll just have to do with window watching.
That night we had a strong wind and rain storm move
through.  The wind really whipped the branches and the rain came
down in heavy sheets.  I worried about the little nest as I knew it
hadn't had a chance for the mud to dry and solidify the nest.
All I could do was wait and watch for the little robin to return.
As I anxiously checked the nest the next morning, I saw
the robin fly to the nest.  I was so grateful it was still there and
had survived the storm.
Throughout the day I continued to check on the progress
of the nest.  But, the my disappointment the nest was neglected
and I didn't see the robin again.
For the next several days my eyes would be drawn to
the nest, but still no little robin.  I began to think that what I had
read was true--that if in building the nest it was damaged or not
stable the robin would not try to salvage or repair it, but would
move on to another more protected and safe site.
My disappointment was great and I felt so sad.  Every day
I would look out the window hoping against hope that she would
be back.
A week went by and then Sunday morning, Mother's Day,
I looked out and there she was!  She was back!  It was the
perfect Mother's Day gift!   I decided that perhaps she was still
near by, but had needed to give the nest time to dry out before
she returned.
I wish I knew how many eggs there were.  I understand
they lay one egg a day and that there can be three to five eggs
in the nest.  Once they are all laid, incubation lasts 12-14 days.
I think father robin may be near by as I observed two
robins yesterday in the tree.  My little mother robin doesn't
seem to go to far.  In fact, this morning while I was washing 
windows she was sitting on the little branch next to the nest.
When I thought I had lost my little robin to the storm, 
several thoughts came into my mind--lessons that we could all
learn from this experience....like how important it is that we
build homes upon a strong foundation of gospel principles and
that we keep them strong and safe from worldly influences.
Places where our young ones may be protected, where each
may know love and security--a haven from all they are
bombarded with each day.
A home that is secure so that when the floods, winds and 
storms of life press upon them, they may know peace and that
mom and dad are there to protect, care, and teach them.  Then
when they are ready to spread their wings and venture out of
the nest, they will have been given a firm foundation and all
they will need to make their way in the great big world.

No comments: