Saturday, January 30

"...What Did I See?"

As the hands of the clock moved to 2:00 p.m. I looked out my
window and decided the sun and partly cloudy, blue skies
were calling to me and I needed to get up off the couch, put
my quilting to the side and go for a walk.  Laced up my
walking shoes, grabbed my coat from the closet and reached
for my ipod only to find that the battery was low.  Now
how could I walk without "Mama Mia" setting the pace for
my walk?

Well, if I couldn't have music I'd just have to grab my camera
and see if there were any ducks on the ponds below my
house.  As I headed down the hill and neared the ponds my
ears were assaulted with the cacophony of birds.  My they
were noisy and oh, so busy on the water and the banks of
the pond.

I quickly crossed the road and tried to carefully move to the
edge of the retaining wall so as not to disturb the ducks that
were resting on the dirt where the snow had melted.


But, as you can see, they flew off and headed out to the
water quacking and honking and letting me know they
were not happy to be disturbed.  I wish I'd had time to
really get a better picture.


It was delightful to watch how gracefully they glided onto
the water.  As I looked around was amazed at the number
of Canadian Geese that had wintered here and all the wild
ducks.  Many of the ducks do stay through the year, but
there are never this many.  
Thought I had my camera set for a close-up, but 
apparently didn't.  Although these look like little specs
they are in reality live birds swimming in the cold water 
and basking on the ice.  It was an absolutely beautiful
site.  

Often during the early morning and early evening hours,
they fly over my house and I love to hear them calling
to one another and watch them fly in formation.  

Next time I head down that way, I'll have to take some
stale bread to feed them and perhaps I'll be able to get
some close up pictures.

Just standing there and watching them certainly brought
a smile to my face and brightened an already sunny day!




1 comment:

Nicole said...

Funny you should post this. Long story short...I got locked out of my car last week & Harrison was inside. While I was out there getting snowed out, FREEZING & thinking the locksmith would NEVER get there (1hr 20min later he arrived) I heard geese overhead honking. I looked up and couldn't help at smile & think how beautiful they were & surprised they were back already. It sure made a hard situation nice. If I wasn't locked out, I am sure I wouldn't have noticed them, so something good came out of a bad situation, as it always does. I too love those geese, they are beautiful.