Sunday, September 20

Creating Memories

I love creating memories! Memories that I hope will last a life
time--mine and the grandchildren's. Memories that will bring
a smile, a laugh, or even a tear or two. Memories that will
sustain each of us and help us all remember the love and the
good times we have shared.

It's been fun for me to watch the boys take an interest in
creating objects with the plastic building blocks and now to
see Ian's imagination soar as he moves on to "Lego's".
Memories of an earlier time with Brian and Myq flood my mind
as I watch these two grandsons "creating."

How they, Brian and Myq, loved lego's and would play with
them by the hour creating anything and everything. I remember
taking them to ZCMI to a big lego display and their fascination
with all the things that could be built or created with lego's.
Such fun to see imaginations at work!



Kohler's Tower--It's almost as tall as him!



Time out--need to check this magazine out
and all the great stuff it has!



Another airplane, spaceship. Some of his
creations need to be entered in the "Lego"
Magazine they are so clever. This, of course,
is with the plastic blocks.



What is a lazy summer afternoon without a swing?
The children have loved this swing and it has paid
for itself over and over. Memories flood my mind of
Hailey and Ian when they were this age. Tears were
often shed because it was so hard to share when
they were together. But, oh, how they loved to soar
through the air--the higher the better!

As the kids swing memories flood my mind of an earlier
time and the old swings Carol and I had as children.
Dad made each of us rope swings with a cut board
for the seat and tied them to a branch of the large
old tree next to the street. We would swing for hours
and never grow tired. A happy memory of my
childhood!



Who doesn't love a sandbox? Perhaps mother's because
of all the sand that is tracked in and through the house.
Memories of a sandbox Leonard built for the kids come
to mind as I watch the boys play in their small sandbox.
Leonard created a large sandbox on the north side of
the house. He had seen the idea in a magazine and
decided to make one for our chldren. It even had a
covering that was made up town by a company that
made hang gliders. It was red and yellow canvas and
the perfect covering to keep the sun off the kids.



Although Ian is growing up fast, he isn't too big for the
swing--so he says. His thing is not is not so much
swinging and twisting the rope as tight as possible and
then letting go. Yipee! Note the cheerio and macaroni
necklace he made at school.

While Ian plays in the sandbox, Kohler teases us by
doing "tricks" on top of the castle.



What child doesn't like to make "paper airplanes"?
Doesn't matter how old that child is--there is
something challenging about making and flying a
paper airplane.

A memory I hope Ian and Kohler will retain of the
afternoon we made paper airplanes and then went
outside to see whose plane would fly the farthest.
Of course, mine became a stunt plane, Kohler's
a dive bomber and Ian's soared long and far.




Awesome airplanes, guys!





Memories of bygone years sneak into my memory
as I watch Ian playing soccer. Was it only yesterday I
was enrolling Kerri in soccer? I had such high hopes
that she would enjoy it and that at least one of my
children would love sports. But that was not to be.

I lived for sports growing up. Loved playing church
softball, participating in and winning tennis matches,
basketball with friends and any other sport that came
along. Memories that I hold dear!



Huddle with the soccer ball! Ian is #6



Great job advancing on that ball, Ian



One tuckered-out soccer player! Ian's team scored
two goals to the other team's one. Great Job, Ian!

Memories! Cherished memories!
So grateful to be a part of these times with
my grandchildren. They grow so quickly and
soon these times spent together will be just
a "Memory"! But, oh, how I'll cherish them and
the ones that come to my mind from times
past.

No comments: