Sunday, September 13

"Tender Mercies"

We all know that Heavenly Father extends "tender mercies" to his sons
and daughters. Early Friday evening I was the recipient of one of
those "tender mercies." I might even go so far as to say I was
extended a "miracle" in that I was detained at a stoplight long
enough to have avoided being hit by a car on the driver's side.

I was returning home from Kerri's (we'd gone to a local boutique) and
was advancing upon the stoplight by Davis High School. The light
was red and I came to a complete stop waiting for the light to change
to green so I could make a left turn onto Main Street and head home.

The light changed from red to green, but for some reason, instead
of moving forward out into the street. I just sat there. Then,
something caught my attention. I turned my head to the left to see a
group of cars approaching the stoplight. However, one car in
particular stood out. It was a black car in the outside lane (next to
the sidewalk) and was moving along at a fairly rapid speed to be
approaching the red light. For some reason, I just seemed to sit
there, unable to move forward, watching this car zooming along. The
driver, a young woman, did not seem to be paying the least bit of
attention to the traffic around her or the light ahead of her. I'm not
sure if she was on her cell phone or not or just blanked out for a
second. Suddenly as she reached to cross walk, she slammed on
her brakes, tires screeching, she came to a stop midway into the
intersection.

She looked over at me, a little in shock, I think and waved me
forward but I was not going anywhere just then. Apparently
other drivers had realized what was happening and were slowing
down stopping several feet behind the crosswalk. She quickly put
the car into reverse, backed up and came to a stop. Then and only
then did I seem to be able to move my car forward out into the
intersection and make the left turn safely.

As I drove down the highway I felt such an overwhelming sense of
gratitude to my Heavenly Father for his protection to me and to the
driver of the black car. Both of us could have been seriously
injured and our cars totaled. But, we were protected from harm and
accident. Both of us had just been the recipient of a miracle, a
"tender mercy" from a loving Heavenly Father.

No comments: