Wednesday, March 25

WORD OF THE DAY

While reading a friends blog she told of a friend who
was writing for Lent (40 days).  Although she is not 
Catholic, she ran across a website "Word of the Day" 
and decided that each day she would click on the site
and write something using the posted word.  I went to
her website and was absolutely delighted to read what
she had written.  After reading several entries, I
decided I wanted to try it and hopefully I can keep
it going.  Try it!  You may find it challeneges your
creativity and helps you jot down stories.
If anyone is interested here is the website:

www.watchout4snakes.com/creativitytools/Random Word/
RandomWord.aspx

My first Word of the Day:  TASTE

"That smells so good I can almost taste it!"
"Ooh, that taste's so good!"
"Can't you just taste the wonderful mixture of 
flavors?"

Taste and smell seem to go hand in hand.  If it smells
good, then surely it must taste good, right?  And if it
looks good (appealing to the eye) it must taste good.
How often have we heard these statements?
OR
"Here just try a little.  You'll see, you'll like it."

We beg and cajole children and even adults to just try
it--to take a small taste saying, "How do you know you
don't like it if you haven't tasted it?"  Yeah, right! 
Sometimes it works and we are pleasantly surprised.
But, sometimes it doesn't as in my case when I was a
young child.

Mother had fixed a nice supper and we were all seated
around the table.  One of the items she served was
sauerkraut.  I remember my grandmother making
sauerkraut and letting it "cure" in crocks or barrels.
Apparently, this had cured the proper length of time
and was ready to be "tasted".  We were all required to
take something of everything and place it on our plates.
Food was not to be wasted.

I knew immediately that I was not going to taste any 
sauerkraut.  I didn't like the look or smell and promptly
announced that "I was not going to eat any of that".
That was the wrong thing to say especially with my dad
sitting there by me.  My parents were of the old school
where you ate what was placed before you and there 
was no waste.  You ate all on your plate.

Even though a small amount had been dished up, I told
my parents that "I can't do this.  If I do, I will throw up."
Not a good thing to say!

"No, you won't and you will eat it!"
"No, I won't!"
"Yes, you will!"

And on it went the struggle between parent and child
with me feeling sicker and sicker all the time at the
thought of having to taste and swallow the sauerkraut
on my plate.

My dad, probably near the end of his rope and not one
to put up with foolishness at the table gave one last
command.  Being somewhat afraid of him, yet knowing
what was going to happen, I surrendered and took a
small bite and promptly threw up!

Needless to say, never again did I have to "taste"
sauerkraut.  Even to this day the thought, look or
smell of sauerkraut makes me nauseous.

Whether real or imaginary "tasting" food can be either
an delightful experience or an utterly horrendous
experience.  

No comments: