arrival, memories of my own anticipation as a child their age has
come to mind. What is it that is so exciting about this day? I'm not
really sure, but I remember being so excited.
I remember making Valentine Envelopes and decorating
them so classmates could place a Valentine inside. Crepe paper,
construction paper, glue and sometimes glitter were used to
decorate the envelopes. Sometimes we decorated shoe boxes at
home and took them to school.
We also made Valentines at school for our families,
but those for friends and classmates were "store bought" and
only our names were signed on the back of the Valentine.
Sometimes we'd find one from "guess who" or "Secret Admirer".
But, even more fun was taking Valentines around in the
evening to friends in the neighborhood. What fun it was to
place the Valentine on the doorstep, knock on the door and run
so we wouldn't get caught. I don't know if we signed our names
to those or not.
I still have several Valentines from friends in my scrapbook
and how different they are from the Valentines my grandchildren
send out now. But, the excitement is still the same!
Making cutout cookies, decorating them, then taking them
to friends and neighbors was a special activity I shared with my
children and now I enjoy seeing them doing the same with their
little ones. How much fun I had on Saturday making cookies
with Ian and sending them home with him to decorate with
his family.
A tradition we carried on for many years that Kerri is
carrying on with her children involved small boxes of
chocolates. I would purchase inexpensive boxes of heart-shaped
chocolates and place them on their chairs so that when they
came to dinner in the evening and pulled out their chairs they
would find the "hidden" chocolates . It was probably rather silly to
have them on their chairs and why I did that, I don't recall, but it came
a tradition to find that simple little box on their chairs. As the years
passed, I inquired about doing away with them, but it was
unanimous--keep the little heart-shaped box with the "cheap"
chocolates. And, so we did.

No comments:
Post a Comment