Sunday, February 8

Cravings

Do you ever get cravings?  Or, am I the only one!  

Recently a friend brought over a warm loaf of her delicious home-
made bread she and her daughter had made.  It really hit the spot and 
brought back some great memories of my mother baking bread and 
the wonderful smell that filled our home.  How I loved coming home 
from school when she was baking as she would always save just a little 
and would make me my very own scone.  Topped with butter and 
honey or a little of her homemade jam and a glass of cold milk was a
most wonderful treat.

Eating the bread made me want to make my own bread once again.
But, as much as I wanted hot, made from scratch, bread, I really
didn't want to go through the whole process of mixing, raising,
punching down, raising again, and forming loaves of bread.
Feeling a little frustrated that I didn't want to make the effort, I
dismissed the idea of having warm bread smothered with butter
and honey hot from the oven. 

Then a wonderful thing happened!  I remembered a "batter" bread
recipe I had clipped from the newspaper a few years ago (1994).  It 
was a great way to use food storage items, especially wheat and dry 
powdered milk.  Digging through my "unorganized" recipe box 
(someday it will be organized) I found the recipe.    

Not wanting to open the bags of wheat I just purchased and grind
the kernels into flour,  I hustled off to the grocery store and bought 
a small bag of wheat flour.  The bread was quick and easy to make 
and made me happy just thinking of a nice warm piece when it came 
out of the oven.

And, it has been everything I remembered and hoped for.  It is
best eaten warm, but placing a slice in the toaster works every
bit as well.  The butter and honey is quickly absorbed by the warm
bread and fills that craving for homemade bread.

So , thought I'd share it and hope, if anyone tries it, they will
enjoy the wonderful flavor and texture that is found only in
"homemade bread."

Quick and Easy Brown Bread
 
3 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. powdered nonfat milk
2 c. water
1 Tbsp. vinegar
3 Tbsp. molasses

Combine all together.
Pour into greased loaf pan
Bake 350
1 hour
or until done

Best when eaten HOT !!

Hope you enjoy it!



1 comment:

Rob and Kerri said...

I always have cravings!...especially for something sweet to eat. Great recipe..and thanks for sharing!
love, us