sitting on my patio basking
in the beauty
of this Sunday
afternoon --- enjoying
the look, feel and
sounds of Spring. 




The birds have quieted down somewhat from their early morning serenade (4:30 a.m.),
although they still call to one another. Now they quietly meander through my garden
and grass searching for yummy tasting bugs and worms.
A very large bumblebee has been buzzing around nearby causing me a little concern.
But, he finally left. Whew!!
A couple of brightly colored butterflies have flitted among the flowering plants
searching for sweet nectar.
There's been a slight breeze tickling the leaves of the surrounding trees and treating
me to the most wonderful smell of spring...Lilacs! How I love lilacs and the
memories they evoke of trips to Salt Lake with my Mother in the Spring as
we purchased lilac scented cologne at ZCMI.
As I looked around at the beautiful spring flowers, some now beginning to fade,
I was reminded that much of the beauty there came from the help my children
had given to me and continue to give. The layout of my perennial garden was
done with Kerri's help and planting. Now, I add a few new plants each year and
some annuals.
It is such a joy to see new life breaking through the soil and winter's snow. The
bright hue of pansies, crocus', tulips and daffodils bring the brightness of hope
and winter's end.
I am reminded that now the work begins! Thursday evening found everyone at
Grandma's trimming the Ash Tree by the patio so the grass could benefit
from the sun's life-giving rays. Brian and Rob trimmed and hauled limbs to
Brian's truck to be carried off to the dump.
Even Hailey and Ian pitched in and made a game of dragging off light-weight
branches. Kerri and Brian also helped dig out the Ivy growing behind the garage.
Ugh! Spiders and bugs, oh my!
All the hard work of trimming, digging and planting of summer seedlings
brings a feeling of contentment as I reflect on the look, feel and sounds of spring.
How I will enjoy the coming summer days and the beauty that will blossom
forth in the confines of my garden.

No comments:
Post a Comment