before my appointment with my oncologist for blood work.
As I watch those vials filling up, I am also sending up a silent prayer
that things will be good when the reports are sent to Dr. Gray.
I try not to worry and fret, but I do. There is really nothing to be
done, but still the anxiety is there. I try to tell myself that everything
is ok, that nothing seems to be out of order and I'm feeling good.
But, once you've been through cancer, that underlying concern
is always there. And, it gets worse when you hear about
someone else who has just been diagnosed or that one of your
chemo friends is struggling. Everything you've been through
comes back at you.
When I walked into the waiting room this morning and saw how
crowded it was and noticed patients in varying stages of health,
I again silently thanked my Heavenly Father for blessing me
and asked Him to be with those who were giving their all to fight
this deadly disease. Cancer patients truly are fighters! Life is
important to them and each one has a desire to live and win
the war. Every one I visit with, while I'm there, touches my life
with their story. Their courage, their desire to be positive,
lift and strengthen me. I hardly ever leave that someone
doesn't say, "I'll be praying for you" or "I'll be thinking about
you" or "I'm so glad you are doing well". Cancer patients are
such caring and wonderful people!
My wonderful chemo nurse, Stacey, was there today. She is so
upbeat and positive and always cheering everyone on. They
don't come any better than her. I was so happy to have her
take my vitals before meeting with Dr. Gray. She is one of the
few that can do my port without problems. Although, today it
was a little tricky. She had just finished when Dr. Gray came in.
One of the first questions he always asks is, "How are you
feeling?" And, I get to tell him, "I'm doing great." Today
he started right in checking my breathing, heart, etc. as he
was asking me questions. This concerned me a little because
we usually visit and go over the reports first. So, I said,
"I am doing ok, aren't I?" (Here a little fear and nerves begin
to creep in.)
His reponse, "You're doing good. Everything looks great, blood
work is good, etc." (Sigh of relief on my part!) As we went through
the blood work, I was so happy to hear that my tumor markers were
the lowest yet. They've gone from 28 in February to 20 today.
That's always the biggest concern. My heart sounded good and he
felt very positive about things.
So, I am happy to share that I have graduated to four months
out before my next visit with him. Of course, I'll still go in
every six weeks to have my port flushed. That probably
doesn't seem like a big thing, but to me it is a big step going
from a three month visit to a four month visit. It's very
exciting and encouraging. It has been almost two years
since my last chemo treatment of Taxol.
Again, I express love and gratitude to my Heavenly Father
for His blessings and His watchful care. Thank you to
Dr. Gray for his care, knowledge and concern. And
again, thanks to my family (immediate and extended) for
your prayers, help, and love. To you, my friends, thanks
for hanging in there.

1 comment:
Glad to hear you are doing well. You're thought of often. Your garden is beautiful too. Kerri knows her flowers :)
Post a Comment