I so look forward to those few moments when I can connect with Myq. He is so busy and I miss him so much. It always brings a feeling of peace to my soul when I can hear his voice, see his e-mail or have my instant messenger icon pop up. And, I'm always delighted to hear that he and Brian have chatted, even if it is at 3:00 a.m. our time, when Brian gets home from work.
Since I am always asked how Myq is doing and where he is now, I thought I'd bring everyone up-to-date. (At least as much as I can. Feel free to correct me, Myq). Myq received his Master's Degree in England a year ago and has been in Japan this year teaching while waiting to apply for a university positon.
This past fall he climbed Mt. Fuji with several thousand ambitious Japanese, which, to me, was quite an accomplishment in and of itself. Of course, it didn't surprise me as he hiked through the Nepal mountain range a few years back. The climb is done at night by moonlight, arriving at the top in time to see the sunrise. Go Myq!

He has recently accepted a position with a university in Beppu, (located near Oita) on an island at the southern tip of mainland Japan. (Think this picture is taken there) The area is noted for its hot springs (check it out on the internet) I am excited for Myq and know that he will be a great teacher. He will be teaching four English classes a semester, three hours a week/class. (hope I got that right!) How lucky his students and the university are to have him!
While in Thailand a few years back, I was privileged to meet several of Myq's co-workers at the private school and Webster University where he taught. I heard nothing but praise for his abilities. How my heart swelled with pride to hear of their esteem for him. (Now I know we're not to be
prideful, but in this case, I have to be! Isn't that a mother's prerogative?)
He keeps up with his Thai and Japanese and is always furthering his education and language skills which are a blessing to those around him. How patient he was trying to teach me a few phrases in Thai, albeit frustrating to him, as I didn't do very well. But, I still remember several phrases and can go to my computer and listen to the conversation with Beau as he tried to have her help me. It was wonderful hearing him communicate in Thai and fun to see the look of surprise on the faces of native Thai's as they realized he spoke their language fluently and understood what they were saying!
Keep up the great work, Myq!!

No comments:
Post a Comment