Monday, April 29

Sugar---That Addicting Delight!

I knew if I was to be successful in my weight loss
journey, sugar would have to GO!  This has often
been my stumbling block to losing weight and
keeping it off.  I LOVE sugar!  But, sadly sugar
doesn't love me.  Oh, it loves me in its way, but
not a kind way.  It sneaks in and finds places to
hide in my body and constantly finds ways to
tempt me.  Sadly, I must admit I am a Sugaraholic.

Cold Turkey!  That was the only way to go for me.
I knew it was going to take several days to
elminate the desire for sugar and lose the cravings.

To help that first day and other days, I drank tons of
water, at least it seems like I did, every time I wanted
something sweet and sugary.  I chewed sugarless gum,
cleaned out my stash in my bedroom, pantry and anywhere
else I might find temptation.  Took several things to my
family and dumped the rest in the garbage.  This really
took will power to convince myself I wasn't throwing
away good food and all the money I had spent at the grocery
store.  In actuality, I had pretty much cleaned
out things earlier and just hadn't restocked.

That morning when I got up, I prayed that I might be
blessed to have the strength, courage and determination
to follow through and that the cravings would be
taken from me.  I prayed that I would be in control.
Mind would rule, not habits, hunger, cravings, etc.

I also made sure I went for my walk and that I had a
list of things to do to keep me busy.  Seems if my
hands were busy, I didn't think so much about food.
Gratefully, the weather was still good, so I could be
outside in the yard and away from the kitchen.

I can't begin to count the number of times prior to
my decision that I would walk past the pantry,
fridge or cupboard and grab a little something to
"tide" me over without realizing just how much I
was taking in.  Then, I'd wonder why I really wasn't
hungry at the dinner hour, but I'd go ahead and
"force" myself to eat a little something anyway.

The first day went well and I really didn't think
about sweets or what I was missing.   I was very
proud of myself---but then it was only one day!
But ONE day without sugar!  I was on my way!
If I could do it one day, I could do it two days
and then three and soon that week would be
over and hopefully the cravings for sweets would
be out of my system and I could move forward.

No comments: