Monday, February 15

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!

Friday evening I received an email from Myq asking if I
would be home Saturday that he might call and chat.  This
email was not like Myq.  He rarely, if ever, sends an
email to see if I'll be home.  Usually he just calls and then
we get on Skype to chat.  So, immediately my mind started
rehearsing all kinds of scenarios as to why he might be
calling.  Could he be sick, had he been in an accident, was
there a problem with school, and on and on.  Usually if
something has happened to him I don't hear about it until
it's over and things are somewhat back to normal.  Guess
that's because he doesn't want me to worry????

Anyway, I quickly emailed back telling him I would be home
and what time did he think he would be calling.  Didn't hear
back before I went to bed.  Got up early and checked once
again before going to work.  Nothing!  Returned from work,
pulled up my email and was just checking them when my
phone range.  Called ID read:  "Unknown name, unknown
number".  That had to be Myq!  If not, I'd just hang up.

"Hi Mom!  What's up?"

When I replied with my own "what's going on" he just 
countered with "what makes you think something is going
on?"  As soon as he began talking I knew something was
up--nothing bad mind you--because his voice had a happy
sound to it and he was so teasing and light-hearted.  We
bantered back and forth for a few minutes and then he told
me:

                              "I'M ENGAGED"

Words spoken I thought I may never hear!  This news, by
far, was the best Valentine gift I have ever received!  Such
a thrill to hear these words!

Of course, I immediately started crying--tears of joy and
happiness, mind you.  Heard him say, "I told you she'd cry!"
And I do cry--I cry about almost anything and everything
especially if it is important to me.

Myq put us on speaker phone and I was able to meet and 
talk with my future daughter-in-law, Joann.  We were able
to chat for about an hour.  It was wonderful to speak with
Joann and learn a little about her, how they met, (they met
while both were studying in the UK) and his surprise 
proposal.

Joann is from Taiwan and was in Auckland for some biking
event and Myq flew over from Wellington to surprise her.
He gave her a box of chocolates that were individually
wrapped.  All but one of them said, "No".  There was also
a small piece of paper with the question "Will You Marry
Me?" written in Chinese.  Thankfully she selected the
chocolate that said, "YES!"

No wedding date has been set.

Thought I'd share some pictures Myq has emailed me so
you, too, can get acquainted with Joann and see what a
awesome couple they make.  I look forward to receiving
many more pictures (hint, hint) and opportunities to 
become better acquainted with Joann.  However, I know
both of them are very busy.  Joann teaches Special
Education in Taiwan and Myq is busy teaching and
working on his doctorate.

The first three pictures are of their engagement which
took place on Valentine's Day!  The others are of
earlier times--some I think were taken in Japan.

Congratulations Myq and Joann!
Love, Mom






























































































































3 comments:

Unknown said...

haha, you heard "I'm engaged", but actually it was Joann who said "I'm going to be your future daughter-in-law" which translated to "I'm engaged"... I guess there was too much information too quickly! :-P

Unknown said...

the first picture was taken almost a year ago...

Joann said...

It must be a great surprise for mum!!!I can understand how mum felt because on that dayI had 2 big surpriseS which make me feel I'm dreaming...I'm still dreaming I think :D