How I love the tantalizing smell of tomatoes, spices, and vinegar
simmering hour after hour on the stove. To me it is one of the
indications that fall is upon us. It has been some time since I have
made Grandma Kohler's recipe for Chili Sauce and as I prepared
the tomatoes, fond memories of past times with my Grandmother,
Mother and even here is my home invaded my thoughts. I
absolutely LOVE the smell of Chili Sauce that wafts throughout
the house. (You can even smell it outside!)
I remember as a little girl being at my Grandmother Kohler's in
Orem and helping pick the tomatoes, carry bottles up from
the basement and watch as Grandma meticulously washed and
scalded the bottles, then peeled the tomatoes, run them through
the food grinder with onions and green peppers, tears from the
onions running down both our cheeks.
Often as a young girl, I would return home from school to
the inviting smell of Chili Sauce emanating from our kitchen
in Midway and Mother standing over the stove stirring the
latest batch. There would always be a small bowl filled with
left-overs that we could have with our dinner that night.
As I look at my kitchen counter filled with 20 pints of sauce
there is a feeling of contentment that surrounds me. Hard
work, Yes! But, it is so nice to think of those long empty
shelves filling up once again. How grateful I am this year to
have the strength and the desire to once again be in the
kitchen canning and preparing for the coming winter. And,
for the memories associated with past canning seasons!

No comments:
Post a Comment